Saturday, December 13, 2008

NSR - In Loving Memory

For the most part, I spend time on my blog sharing artwork and my love for papercrafting.  This post is completely personal, but I felt it important to journal here.

Today, my grandma passed away, just after dinner, with her family around her in the manner in which she would have loved.  She waited for her youngest son to arrive and then declined.  We all gathered around for her final moments for a moment of prayer, solace and comfort.

She is gone and we are missing her.

Audrey Miriam Aubuchon Zankl
November 29, 1928 - December 13, 2008


So, with all that said, I thought I'd share a poem that hospice has printed in the family education booklet.

Thanks for letting me share about a wonderful woman,
lise


Gone From My Sight by Henry Van Dyke
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"
Gone where?
Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

14 comments:

  1. Oh Lise! What a beautiful poem. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear of your loss. Your post shows how much she meant to you -- it is a beautiful memorial to her. My prayers are with you as you go through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry your Grandma is gone Lisa! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Beautiful poem, and such a nice way to think of the passing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear of your lost. What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother, and what a beautiful poem. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Lisa. Your grandma looks like she was a very sweet lady, and I see her in your blog picture. The poem was very beautiful, and I know you all must miss her terribly (an understatement, I'm sure), but it made me think that of that song by Steven Curtis Chapman and how she'll be "home for Christmas" this year -- what an awesome Christmas for her! Thank you for sharing your sadness with us and you and your family will be in my prayers as you learn to adjust to life without her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear of your loss but I just had to comment on such a poignant post. The poem is so very fitting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our prayers are with you and your familyl.

    I appreciated receiving the beautiful poem - we'd just received news of a friends passing so the poem was "just in time" to give us comfort.

    Thx that in your time of grief, you reached out to so many others.
    Blessings - Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, That is an amazing poem. Thank you for sharing it - it is so powerful to the Hope we have. I'm praying for you, Lisa, asking God to comfort you directly and through others. What a wonderful tribute you've given your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your grandmother's passing. I loved the poem..."here she comes!"

    All my grandparents have passed away. I was lucky they all lived into their 80s and 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very sorry to hear of your Grandmother's death.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is my first time to visit, but had to let you know, my heart was hurting for you, and am sending comfort from Jesus Christ, our Savior, the ONLY ONE who can give real comfort. Let Him love and comfort you!!
    The poem is really beautiful!
    Have a blessed 2009!
    Denise from Ohio
    cogjplusd@sssnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. so sad to hear about your grandmother (haven't visited your blog in a very long time) I'm glad all your family was able to be with her & say good-bye, it's nice to have closure. Beautiful poem, I'm sure your holiday was sad without her but she lived a long time, wow!

    ReplyDelete